Saturday, October 29, 2011

Owl Moon plus a Freebie

It is no mystery that I love OWLS.  In first grade I always did a Stellaluna/Bat theme unit.  This year I had the opportunity to use the Owl Moon Unit from Amanda over at One Extra Degree with my thirdsters.  It aligned perfectly with my TEKS (standards) and I just ran with it. My kiddos especially loved digging in to the owl pellets and sorting the bones they found.  They were so engaged and didn't want to stop to go to PE.  We even had the cutest little Owl Smores made for us by a very brave mom willing to take on a Pinterest project for me. 
My students loved the story so much that they begged me to read it to them once more on Friday because we had a little extra time while packing up to go home. I am sad that Owl Week has ended, but now it is on to some very fun and exciting holiday theme units!
PS- The poetry and prose in Owl Moon is among my favorites and I created this little print to share my favorite quote in the book.  Grab it here!


6 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay! I am so glad your kiddos had fun with the unit! :) I LOVE your printable! I'm adding it to my file! THANKS girlfriend! :) Have a great wek!

Amanda
http://www.oneextradegree.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Hey lady!! I hope you're having a wonderful year!! I just gave you the Blog on Fire award! Come on over and grab it up!!
Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

Inspired Owl said...

I love owls and teach third grade too! Thank you for the freebie- I love your ideas!!!

A is for Apple Kindergarten said...

I was inspired! Thank you! Check out my lesson using Owl Moon as a mentor text for descriptive writing!!!

http://elementary411.blogspot.com/2011/11/owl-moon-unit-mentor-text.html

Heather's Heart said...

What an adorable snack! I am all about food so we will be doing those! =)

So stinkin' cute!

Heather
Heather's Heart

Shawna said...

Just found your blog...LOVE IT! Owl Moon is one of my favorite books, it looks like your kids had a great week! I am your newest follower and a newbie blogger. I hope you can come on over and visit me!
Shawna

The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

Post a Comment